Chamber of Commerce
Birth & Death Certificates
- These links are provided to aid you in securing birth and death certificates. Please read and follow the instructions on these sites. We are not permitted to secure certificates on your behalf.
- To request a Pennsylvania Birth or Death Certificate, follow this link
Starting February 15, 2012, the Birth and Death indices are available on-line at:
PA Birth and Death Records Indices
- Births records that are 105 years old or older (currently only the 1906 births)
- Death records 50 years and older - covering 1906 through 1961
Although these indices are in PDF format, they are graphic representations and not searchable using the "find" function. The State has entered into an agreement with Ancestry.com to extract the data from these indices and make them searchable. Further explanation is available here .
In 1906, recording of births and deaths became the responsibility of the State of Pennsylvania. Prior to that, the counties were responsible for recording this data. Any birth older than 105 years is now included in the PDF indices. So, that means, that only the 1906-1907 birth indices are available. Any death record older than 50 years is now available in the PDF indices, which includes 1906 through 1962.
- Are you researching Bradford County? If so, please contact: Bradford County. The Bradford Landmark Society is located in the city of Bradford, Pennsylvania, McKean County.
- Cornelius Family Genealogy. Photos, obituaries and so much more
- The McKean County Historical Society in Smethport, Pennsylvania.
- Back To Bradford by Angela Nuzzo. The content, variety, and first-rate presentation are worth every moment spent viewing.
- The Penn-Brad Oil Museum, Custer City, PA focuses on the Bradford area's rich oil heritage through historic displays and guided tours. Opens for the season around Memorial Day and closes around Labor Day.
- Salamanca Rail Museum. Just a 1/2 hr. drive from Bradford and well worth the trip.
- See what Planet Smethport has to offer. It's an absolute goldmine of information on McKean County.
- McKean County genealogy information at Rootsweb.
- Visit the Little Museum in Cameron County, PA.
- Beautiful Civil War Watercolor Maps by McElfresh Maps.
- Bradford's local newspaper is THE BRADFORD ERA.
- The OLEAN TIMES HERALD is located in nearby Olean, NY (Cattaraugus County).
- Search Smethport, PA newspapers such as The Citizen, The McKean County Miner, McKean County Democrat, Settler & Pennon and others covering the years 1833 through 1978.
- The Allegheny National Forest Vacation Bureau has a multitude of ideas to help you enjoy the beauty of this area year-round. Be sure to investigate the possibilities.
- Walk the Crook Farm Loop North Trail of the Tuna Valley Trail. Located along the west side of the Tunungwant Creek from Bolivar Drive to Tuna Crossroads. There is a graveled parking lot at the Crook Farm for walkers wishing to access the trail from Seaward Avenue.
- The Kinzua Viaduct majestically spanned the Kinzua Valley for over a century before that fateful day of July 21, 2003. Let this site take you through that day, complete with animation.
- Would you like to put that GPS to work in the Bradford area searching for geocaches? The Bradford Landmark Society has a cache named in its honor. Get the facts here.